Even though you have home insurance, it’s something you hope you’ll never have to use. But even though none of us like to think about the worst case scenario, it does help you to be prepared if disaster ever does strike. A good place to start is by considering the most common types of homeowners insurance claims in our state. Understanding this is the first step to finding the best home insurance for your property. Here are five common North Carolina home insurance claims from Jerome and Summey Insurance in Brevard, NC:
- Hurricanes and tropical storms – Our state has a large coastal region, making it susceptible to hurricanes and tropical storms weather. Think these weather systems don’t affect us here in Western North Carolina? Think again! It’s not uncommon for tropical systems to travel inland and produce heavy rains and gusty winds in our region.
- Flooding and water damage – A much more common occurrance in the mountains is flooding. Flash floods can be particularly devastating. Make sure you know what your Brevard homeowners insurance policy covers – and what it doesn’t – before you need it. Your insurance agent will let you know if flood insurance is required for your area.
- Severe weather and lightning – Heavy thunderstorms bring damaging winds, hail, and lightning. They are the cause of many claims in our state.
- Burglary and property crimes – Unfortunately, many homeowners have to file a claim after their homes have been broken into. Your policy can cover the cost of any items that were stolen and pay for any property damage that has to be repaired. Know the crime rates for your area and invest in a security system if you can.
- Fires – We’ve all seen the damage wildfires can do. But house fires are much more common. Your home insurance policy will be a tremendous help if you ever have a fire on your property.
Want to make sure you have the best home insurance for your property? Call Jerome and Summey Insurance in Brevard, NC for free home insurance quotes from top insurers.